Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Eden of the East in Review

I had this series suggested to me by a few friends. I put it off for quite sometime. After watching this series I do regret putting it off. it is very worth my time, for that matter its worth any anime fans time. This is one of the few series that can actually accurately claim to be excellent. The story isnt complicated it is well pace and makes you ask several questions.

Lets get this show on the road. This is Eden of the East

Written By: Kenji Kamiyama
Directed by : Kenji Kamiyama
From Studio : Production I.G.
Licensed by : Funimation Entertainment
Eden Of The East: The Complete Series (DVD) -Amazon
Eden Of The East Dvd Complete Series (hyb)-RightStuff

When the first episode we are introduced to the female love interest and a secondary main character named Saki Morimi who is visiting Washington D.C. as part of her graduation trip. She arrives the fence in front of the white house. She plans to toss a quarter into the fountain to and make a wish but one she reaches the fence she realizes that it is to far and decides to toss the quarter anyway. She is spotted by the cops and just as they begin to question her . Well I cant really word this right so ill show you the picture of how we are introduced to the series main character and Saki's love interest ---After the jump---



Yes that is our Main character Akira Takizawa  stark ass naked standing in front of the white house holding a gun and a cell phone. *side note* they blur out the crotch of all males that ever appear naked with what looks like a white erased spot.
It is learned early on that Akira does not know how or why he is in DC. The viewer is informed over this and the next episode over what is going on. Akira is part of a game that he is forced to play. He is one of twelve Selecao. They were selected via a unknown benefactor only know as Mr. Outside. Each of the twelve were given 10 billion yen approx $125 million US. This is to be used to "save" Japan. Why they are playing is unknown and what they need to do to accomplish the task is also unknown. Akira is informed that if the phone is destroyed OR they are not found to use their money effectively OR they run out of money without "winning" they will be eliminated.  Once Akira learns what is going on he only has around 8 billion yen left. The remainder of the series is Akira  trying to figure out why he erased his memory.
As the viewer you spend the entire series as in the dark as the protagonist do. You meet a Doctor whom used the money to build a self sustaining hospital. A cop that burned through the money but doesnt feel he made any difference. You even meet a serial Killer. She winds up being a very compelling character, Yes i said she.

The viewer is also introduced to many of the friends of  Saki's friends as well. They end up being a large reason everything is learned about Akira via there Eden Of The east search engine that can identify anything from the camera on the phone. Yes its completely impossible before you ask. It uses social networks to identify everything..

I think by this point you get the point. You should be watching this. Hell its on Netflix instant view and its only 11 Episodes. You go watch now. For christ sake the whole damn thing is On you tube. You really have no excuse.
That is the trailer for the series subbed. Guess what the DUB is actually very good. Its actually what Ive grown to expect from Funimation but don't worry if you are a snob to one or the other both are on YOU TUBE.

Seriously are you watching it yet???

I mean why not its good.

My final verdict is a  4 out of 5 (damn near perfect)

Side note I started watching Anime back in the day when the only way to acquire it was to purchase it. I have purchased a LOT of anime on VHS. I converted the series I like to DVD. This leaves a lot that I haven't converted to DVD either I deemed it not worth my time. I wouldn't have bought many of the things that I did IF I could have rented them but I couldn't. I am from a small town and the anime section in the local Blockbuster didn't have a lot. The point I was trying to make was trying to make is if I had bought this series when VHS existed I would have gladly upgraded it to DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment