Thursday, September 1, 2011

Flashpoint

I am a life long comic fan and I thought Id give you my thoughts on Dc's Flashpoint
Continue

When Geoff Johns started writing Flash I thought I would give it a try. I was never a  Flash fan growing up. Hell barely knew anything about him. So I decided to read the Flash rebirth arc that brought back the long deceased Barry Allen (nobody stays dead in comics or Soap operas actually). I enjoyed the return and the subsequent issues of the regular series. Each was entertaining and interesting. Giving it a updated back story and tieing into John's Blackest Night.

Flashpoint is started when Barry Allen learns that the person that killed his mother , the case that led to the accident that caused him to become the Flash, was caused by long time Flash villain the Reverse Flash (Eobard Thawne) in a great moment of grief Flash decided to break his own rule and use his Cosmic Treadmill ( yes before you ask it really is a treadmill). In stopping the death of his mother he breaks space and time and screws things up. (Of course you know that would happen)

Here comes the First Issue I had with this book. I didn't like the first issue at all. It felt like more of a Elseworlds story than a standard universe story. I had no idea it would take place in a alternate reality. While I did enjoy the 2nd 3rd and 4th issue.
Now we come to my second big problem.... Issue 5. I hated the conclusion . Reverse Flash pointing out that it is all The Flash's fault. While this is a true statement. It is also more true that it is really Eobard's fault. He told the Flash that he was the one that killed his mother and pushed him over the edge. Hell its his fault that he killed his mother to begin with. This annoys the living shit out of me. I did however enjoy the sentimental ending though.

My next issue with this whole story is .... This is what they used to reset the DC  universe??? Why ?? It didn't have near the gravity it should for such a large shake up. It really just felt like a Elseworlds story. A lot of the ending felt as if could be easily undone as well which removes more gravity....

While I do reserve judgement for the whole DC reset thing until I read a few issues I do think it is one creative stunt. In the end it will all go to how it is written. If it is written well it will go over well if it inst it will get reset back to the old status quo. This has made me interested in several characters that I never cared for. So I do have hope

All and All I cant say it was good and I cant say it was bad. it just wasn't what it needed to be for what it is.

As a story on its on outside of the events it caused... 3 out of 5
For a story that caused its events 2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment